Friday, February 3, 2012

Amazing Spider-Man #678-#679

Writer: Dan Slott
Penciler: Humberto Ramos
Inker: Victor Olazaba
Colourist: Edgar Delgado
Letterer: Joe Caramagna
Editor: Stephen Wacker

Before I get into the two issues, some quick background. I used to be the world's biggest Spider-Man fan as a teen. I had the shirts, read every comic (no matter how many miniseries) etc. Then the Spiderclone story happened and I changed how I thought of comics. I so hated that storyline that I went from following characters, to following creators. Though I still had a nasty taste when I thought of the main Spider-man line, and hadn't read more than an issue or two in a row since.

That last part has changed with this storyline. The cover to 678 just made me so curious as to just what had happened to New York and Spider-man. It's a simple design but just opened up so many thoughts in my head upon seeing it.

Writer Dan Slott delivers the goods inside though, because as much as the cover got me in, his writing kept me there. He's got a brilliant idea here with one of Peter's friends having invented a literal doorway into tomorrow.  At first things seem fine with it, but when Peter crosses over the day changes to a destroyed New York, leading Peter to have to figure out what went wrong  and fix it.

It is compelling action, filled with tension, as we follow Peter race the clock to save NYC and those involved. I like how Slott weaves in even the continuity with other books and characters, with things like Madame Web guesting to explain why the Avengers or FF don't get involved. 

Ramos's art is as expressive as ever. From the heroes, to the person on the street, the characters all seem to have unique lives and quirks of their own. This is  a story that has serious overtones, but the art brings an energy that reminds me of the best parts of the Indiana Jones movies.

I'll definitely be back for more after reading these issues. I  like that Peter Parker has moved on with his life. He's no longer the poor schlep working as a photographer for The Daily Bugle. His new job and environment makes things fresh and exciting, which isn't easy to do for a character that's been around as long as Spidey.

It's something I've noticed on a number of books from Marvel currently as I check in on them. Status quos are no longer there, new characters, directions and stories are taking place.

That's something maybe another company who just restarted should consider doing. (but so far just put their characters back in the same old situations)

No comments:

Post a Comment