Thursday, January 5, 2012

Who I Am

I'm James Schee, pronounced Ski, and I've been a comics reader off and on since I was a kid in the 80s reading G.I. Joe comics. One of my favorite times in comics was the late 1990s to early 2000s when I was a remote assistant on the DC Comics section on AOL. That humanized the comic industry for me, as I got to see comic creators as people, not  faceless names on paper.

I like to think of myself as sort of a middle of the road comics fan. Most of the supposed classics happened before I got in, though I have gone back and read many of them. I don't have a life long history with characters, so am able to break even the strongest fondness of a book if the quality isn't there.

 As time passes you'll see reviews of superhero, horror, sci-fi, slice of life,  and just about every kind of comic there is. To me the most important thing about a comic is that it entertain me. I'm not interested in reading a comic just because it continues a 20 years old story. I also don't care if all your comic is about is how you can't get a girlfriend.  A comic has to BE a story, not just an index card entry or a whine fest.  If I don't enjoy it, it isn't worth it.

One of the things that has gotten me back into comics in the past year was receiving an IPad for my birthday. The digital marketplace for comics has really boomed recently, and allowed me to try out things I never would have been able to shopping in the Direct Market. Most of the comics I read currently are digital, though there are still some I seek out collections or the occasional single issue.

My goal is to just share my thoughts, in a hopefully reasoned way, on what I enjoy. It won't all be sunshine and bunnies. When I feel I have something to say, I can, and will, be critical. Yet I don't believe in diatribes and I hate the way that everything in comics is so agenda driven in fandom today. I miss the days when it was just okay for a comic to not be for you as a reader.  Now readers seem to think they must "fix" anything they personally dislike.

So let's see how it goes, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment